(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 01/18/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> And even for longer travels, the bounce message you get is quite
> clear about what's happened: the mail has not been delivered because
> the mailbox can contain no more than 50 messages, and is full. (This
> happened to me whilst I was away over Christmas.)

A descriptive reason for non-delivery sure is better than just the plain
Waiting/Delivered/Failed plus timestamp. Currently it is (to my
knowledge) not possible to see the difference between a person not
turning on his/her phone in the alotted time or turning it on, but
having no more SMS space on the SIM card.

> This is far better than the default SMS situation. I picked up an AT&T
> prepaid cellphone in New York, and I never got any notification of
> whether my SMS were delivered or not, nor could I see any way to set
> up this notification.

As I hinted in my previous mail, some phone manufacturers make this
setting mroe obvious then others. IMHO, Nokia phones have been quite
decent in this respect for many years - even my very first 3110 was OK.
The main problem is that cheaper phones often let the receipt/status
message show up as any other incoming SMS which you may find annoying.
Highend phones (like 9110/9210) have a special log/status section where
it is recorded (along with being reported on the front screen as it
comes in).

> When I sent an SMS to another phone that was not
> equipped to receive it, it just vanished into the ether (but I still go=
> charged ten cents).

This is typically correct. This is identical to that you will not get
the stamp back if you postcard can not be delivered for some reason.

However, at least in Sweden this seems to be changing as nondelivery due
to overloaded SMSCs during for instance Christmas and NewYear used to
charge per time you TRIED to send the message which was really bad. I
assume it will come down to that you pay per delivered SMS - identical
to that you do not pay for a voice call unless someone answers. The
drawback of this is of course SMS spammers - hopefully they will get
prosecuted (or even exe-ditto!) quickly instead...

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809