(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 01/20/03
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:
> > You might also like to complain about a keitai not fitting properly i=
n a
> > typical GSM phone case when you are at it...
> =

> I can forgive almost everything but not having a way to attach a
> strap to the phone. Without that, I've got no place to hang my little
> Kato-chan doll!

Must be a culture thing. Around here people have their mobile either
just in a pocket/bag or in some kind of fitted velcro case on their hip,
case strap or similar.

> > > No, what I want is the other way around. Every time an SMS arrives,=
 it
> > > gets copied to my computer mailbox as well.
> >
> > I guess that would be technically possible for you Telco to set up th=
> > SMSC that handles you phone to do that, but I've never heard anyone
> > asking for it before.
> =

> It's pretty easy to set up when your text messages are e-mail. I just
> get everybody to send the messages to an address on my server instead
> of my phone provider's, and my mail server deals with forwarding it
> appropriately. (Outgoing messages go back to my mail server first to be=

> munged before being forwarded to their final destination.)

Yup, this is exactly what I do for my email (hinted earlier), with the
difference that I don't bother with plain SMS as I just reply on the
phone directly and then back it up (sync) at a later stage if it is
worth saving.

> > Typically you read and respond to the SMS more or
> > less instantly on the phone anyway so an email copy isn't all that
> > exciting. Perhaps this is another culture thing?
> =

> Well, there is a culture thing in that keitai e-mail is the only
> e-mail a significant minority of my friends have. But there are other
> conveniences:
> =

> 1. Why diddle with a phone keypad to reply if you happen to have a comp=
uter
> right in front of you?

True - with a synced address book, replying on the computer instead of
the phone is really easy (I do that now and then). However, as not quite
everyone has the email=3D>SMS feature in the GSM world, this is sometimes=

less good as the SMS reply would get to the person instantly whereas the
email might have to wait until the receiver gets to a computer. Also
with my 9x10 style phone you have a true keyboard and most other phones
have T9 which is pretty fast to write with. To most people, being able
to reply wherever you are is the whole point of SMS.

> 2. I have some handy translation tools available to me on my computer
> that I don't on my keitai.

This argument goes for zillions of things beyond translation. Though for
SMS we are talking 160*x characters where x is typically less than 10
and in older phones actually 1. No essays, right?

> 3. If your phone is out of range, you can still use the messages. I
> spent three weeks in the U.S. and Canada recently, and continued to do
> all my text messaging despite my phone out of range.

Hmm, perhaps I'm spoilt by using highend 9x10 phones for many years, but
I have no problem sending SMS when out of range - there is an outbox for
that (along with a true email outbox, a fax outbox etc etc...). The
outbox stuff is sent whenever I get back into coverage. Still, the only
place I'm ever out of coverage is in airoplanes (for obvious reasons)
and sometimes on some intercity trains (they go through "nowhere" in
some places). My phone is on 24/7 - though it is in silent mode
(charging every second night) while I sleep...

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809