(keitai-l) Re: interesting observation on carriers' market share

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_cornell.edu>
Date: 02/11/03
    Looks to me that there are not 2 markets but only 1.
JPhone and AU appear to be chipping a bit from DoCoMo,
but if you look at it, its percentages of new subscribers.  So
actually they are not doing any damage to DoCoMo at all,
income according to the graph are still rising most rapidly
for DoCoMo.

    Where do you draw the conclusion that DoCoMo and AU are in one
and TuKa and JPhone in another.  I see all of them adding up to 100%
and moving against each other.  They're all doing damage to each other in
small and big ways.

    I see some spots where JPhone is causing AU and DoCoMo to both
lose a little bit like in Mid Nov 2001 and Mid Feb 2002.

    Quite a few times JPhone was doing slightly better TuKa felt no effect

at all... etc etc etc.

    TuKa is always negative (alas.... I like TuKa).

    The rest of them stay positive, but DoCoMo is almost
always more positive meaning that it is always getting subscribers
and more than anyone else, and TuKa is the only one loosing subscribers.
All the rest are doing more and more business.

    When TuKa released the TT21 (my phone) they went a little positive
because it was a great phone at that time (around April last year).

    And AU's jumps seem to me to correspond with their cool phone
releases (and great advertising strategies).  I think last May was when
they released their video phones.  I guess they did something in November
also....I seem to recall something bug then.