(keitai-l) Re: Emoji munged in mail transport?

From: Jotham Greg-GJOTHAM1 <GJOTHAM1_at_motorola.com>
Date: 02/27/03
On 27 Feb 2003 Curt Sampson wrote:

>As one data point, when I send emoji out from my F503i, they all arrive
>at my mail server converted to the 0xa2ae character (〓). I'm not doing
>any conversion, so I guess it's Docomo doing it. Since I, too, run all
>my keitai mail though my mail server, this is a bit annoying.

Couple of years ago I was writing Motorola's WAP Style Guides and I remember this kind of problem being a constant headache for international developments.  It was very difficult then to identify exactly where the scrambling occurred, although this Sun developer note (even though it's not directly relevant to your problem) gives a good impression of the kind of problems that can occur:

http://developer.iplanet.com/docs/technote/directory/utf.html

I'd say if Enfour have a working solution then it's worth paying for, because getting non-standard characters through servers can be a nightmare in some environments....

Greg Jotham