(keitai-l) Re: Emoji munged in mail transport?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/27/03
> Couple of years ago I was writing Motorola's WAP Style Guides and
> I remember this kind of problem being a constant headache for
> international developments.  It was very difficult then to identify
> exactly where the scrambling occurred,

It's not so difficult to track it down in this case. Emails from
DoCoMo end up in your mailbox in the iso-2022-jp charset and
there is simply no space left for any emoji.

So like Curt wrote, what you receive is only a 0xa2ae character
emoji replacement in your email and it's impossible to match it back
to an emoji. So if your friend sends you a smiley emoji or
a sad face, it all ends up as 0xa2ae and this gets interpreted
as a space.

That's why people send the good ol' ASCII smileys if they
send across networks {*_*)~~

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/