(keitai-l) Re: Emoji munged in mail transport?

From: Paul B. Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 02/28/03
    Technically all I would think you would need to do is:

A.  Examine the original emails bytes data received.
B.  Make the bytes to be the same in the output back to the keitai.

    Its pretty low level work and may not be easy though.  (And of course
it could fail...)  The email would read iso-2022-jp but the text could be different.

    I don't know if this will work or not but its worth a try. (And I'm sure
there's some kind of easier way).

Juergen Specht wrote:

> > Couple of years ago I was writing Motorola's WAP Style Guides and
> > I remember this kind of problem being a constant headache for
> > international developments.  It was very difficult then to identify
> > exactly where the scrambling occurred,
>
> It's not so difficult to track it down in this case. Emails from
> DoCoMo end up in your mailbox in the iso-2022-jp charset and
> there is simply no space left for any emoji.
>
> So like Curt wrote, what you receive is only a 0xa2ae character
> emoji replacement in your email and it's impossible to match it back
> to an emoji. So if your friend sends you a smiley emoji or
> a sad face, it all ends up as 0xa2ae and this gets interpreted
> as a space.
>
> That's why people send the good ol' ASCII smileys if they
> send across networks {*_*)~~
>
> Juergen
> --
> Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
> i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/
>
> This mail was sent to address paul.lester@lincmedia.co.jp

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*F=m(dv/dt)
Paul B. Lester
thetamusic.com$B!JM-!K(J
(Layer-8 $B-j(J)
Chief Engineer