(keitai-l) Re: Backing up J-phone cellphone data

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/30/03
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Paul Hardy wrote:

> Background: J-Phone transferred "all" my data from my old phone to its =
> replacement, using some meaning for the word "all" I've not come across =
> before. To whit, the address book was moved, but not the emails or =
> photos.

Well, it's a much better definition of "all" than Docomo's, which didn't
even manage to get all of my address book. My old phone (a P209i) had a
"notes" section in the address book; my new phone did not. Thus, they
simply ignored the "notes" fields when transferring, and I lost the
data.

> I did, however, take the hint from the assistant at the shop. =
> "What shall we do with your old phone?" - "Toss it." - "No, you don't =
> want to do that. You want to take it with you."

Docomo would not let me keep my old phone, either. They insisted on
taking it away from me. I really should have made a stink about it.

> The only bit that performs in a reasonable manner, =
> i.e. suck the data out and push it back, is the address book. However, =
> it only downloads some fields, and when I send the data back, overwrites =
> entries destroying existing data.

Oh, joy. Can you at least get the data out and into some form, such as
CDF files, that you can read without the program?

I bought a serial cable to let me back up my phone, but I've still not
got around to tracking down and trying the open source software that
I've heard is out there. But getting hold of that might let you play
around and see if there is a way of getting out the fields that Keitai
Master 9 doesn't download.

This is the really horrible thing about these sorts of proprietary
Thdevices. ey hold your data hostage.

cjs