(keitai-l) Re: 3 Questions

From: Dai Griffiths <david.griffiths_at_tecn.upf.es>
Date: 04/04/03
This info may be relevant to a comparison of SMS and mobile email
http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2003/04/03/esociedad/1049379185.html
(if you can speak Spanish, but there must be similar reports in English).

It says that a Young & Rubicam report has concluded that
- Most Europeans over 35 have never tried to send an SMS message
- Even if they managed it, very few of their friends would know how to
receive it.

I can't say anything about the research behind this, but it sounds right to me.

My impression is that e.mail over mobile networks in Japan is not as heavily
skewed to the younger section of the market. Is that right?
I don't know why this should be. Maybe an interface issue, attitudes to
gadgets and innovation, or simply a matter of social trends and perceptions?

Dai Griffiths
Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona