(keitai-l) Re: 3 Questions

From: Helen Keegan - BeepMarketing Ltd <helen_at_beepmarketing.com>
Date: 04/04/03
I can only talk about the UK, but uptake of SMS is actually quite high in
older age-groups. For example, if you are a parent with teenage children,
the best way for you to keep in touch with them is via SMS. This is how my
sister talks to her children and it's the same with her friends and my
sister is over 40. And I'm over 35 (just!) and I use SMS all the time with
all my friends. OK, I'm working in the industry, but my friends are not so I
feel that SMS is ubiquitous in the UK.

I also run training courses in mobile marketing and most of the participants
are 35+ and 95% of them have sent and received a text message. They might
not use it very often, but they certainly do use it and know it's there.

I agree that youth markets are still the heaviest users of SMS, but 70% of
all mobile phone users in the UK use their mobile for texting. I'm afraid I
can't remember where the quote is from but it was from an industry research
paper in 2002.

Maybe other countries are just a little bit behind, but I'm sure they will
soon catch up.

Hope this helps
Helen

Helen Keegan
BeepMarketing Ltd
m: 0794 053 8802 | t: 0870 770 7153
www.beepmarketing.com

((wireless: strategy, marketing and training))
    ((the best things come to small devices))