(keitai-l) Microsoft as VodaFone main competitor

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/08/03
Hello to all
Some days ago I've been to a presentation with Vodafone Italy.

Most of the presentation have been a marketing show but...

After their presentation I've asked:

As the market will move to a multimedia services focus and will see the
involvement of new players, who is your main competitor today?

Do you feel the risk of becoming a simple bandwith provider with the
focus shifting on services and contents?

And the Data services , VAS and Multimedia, Vodafone director for
Omnitel Vodafone Italy answered:

Microsoft is our main competitor as much of the strategic position will
be in controlling the user experience more than the network. Under this
point of view we see a serious danger as we could be marginalised as
ISPs have been.

This answer was quite interesting  as both handsets producers and
network operators look at Microsoft as the big bad brother...

What do you think?

Giovanni Bertani

PS:
This is my first message in the mailing list  I work as Mobile VAS
consultant in Verona Italy in a small think-tank in the creation of new
VAS models for the wireless telco industry.