(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 04/22/03
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Philip Sidel wrote:

> However, with 802.11 (mostly g) and all the other competing broadband
> wireless technologies that make 3G look incredibly slow, it's very possible
> that the PDA or PDA/phone combinations that we're seeing from Palm and many
> others will have long term viability as well.

Given the fairly good uptake on much slower data-only cards (DDI's
Air-H"), I'd think that if we get reasonably broad public 802.11
coverage, that could do quite well. In fact, I understand that we're
supposed to be getting combination 802.11/PHS cards soon.

I don't know how many of the cards are on computers and how many
are on PDAs, but I get the impression that the CF cards are selling
pretty well, and the recently introduced smart-card PHS access card is
certainly not meant for laptops.

cjs