(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/23/03
Luned=EC, 21 apr 2003, alle 21:32 Europe/Rome, Oliver Wittchow ha =
scritto:

>> What do you think?
>
> i think you're right but not for japan.
>
> at the moment content like ringtones or iappli can not be copied=20
> between
> japanese phones, to protect your content you just have to check that=20=

> the
> client actually is a phone (user agent, IP-address, etc) - a very
> convenient situation for content providers.
> with open phones programmable on system level one could easily write
> tools for copying content or workarounds for expensive services such =
as

That is very interesting...

So how is performing under this point of view  the Symbian based=20
Fujitsu Phone? :

http://www.symbian.com/press-office/2002/pr021210.html

Symbian phones right now are not used by teenagers thanks to their high=20=

costs

I suppose the P2P sharing is not a big issue in Japan as PC usage and=20
broadband
has a lower penetration than EU and US.

Here in Italy artists rights management agency has imposed a tax on any=20=

media like CD-R,
DVD-R, VHS, Mini DV etc. on the base that they are used for copying=20
protected content.
Actually a DVD-R or CD-R will see an increase of price from 50% to 200%=20=

beginning
the 28th of this month.

On Monday Apple computer will introduce a new music-download service=20
integrated and their new
generation iPod (The best selling MP3 player also in Japan)

> t-mobile video-messaging for example. smartphones would be a threat =
for
> that perfectly working, closed CRM system and therefore i guess we=20
> won't
> see them soon on the japanese market. instead the java platform may be
> extended further, carefully keeping the balance between flexibilty and
> content protection. an iappli for example can write a ringtone to the
> phone memory now but of course will never be allowed to read it.
>
> on the other hand with smartphones applications can identify user and
> device by reading SIM and IMEI. that is perfect for independent=20
> software
> vendors but probably a too complicated procedure for passive, small
> content like melodies and images.
>

> oliver
>

>> This is my thinking:
>>
>> Consumer PDAs (Like Palm's ZIRE) will be killed by advanced one-hand
>> operated smartphones (Like the 3650 and not the P800) with modular =
OSs