(keitai-l) Re: SmartPhones will kill consumer PDAs?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/24/03
Here an interesting posting titled "Palm Reading" on www.mobitopia.com:

"But still the numbers are out there and they're not good. It's =20
debateable whether the PDA market itself will even be around for very =20=

long. How many of these devices sit unused in desk drawers or forgotten =20=

in their sync cradle? People don't want neat devices that sit around =20
unused and they don't want to carry around 2 or 3 different gadgets =20
with them everywhere.  "

"If someone is reading this and thinks that somehow Palm has a chance, =20=

please let me know. I don't see much future in the platform."

Looks like also the author considers the PDA market close to become a =20=

limited niche market and not any more a consumer product for the mass.

IDC numbers are anyway giving us an idea... The PDA market has done a - =20=

21% in first quarter 2003 compared to the same period of 2002. This is =20=

quiet interesting if you think that PDAs prices have now fallen thanks =20=

to Palm's Zire that has a 99usd price. The biggest market is US where =20=

by this year you will see much more competition from Symbian based =20
smartphones (And not just Symbian) ...

Here is the market share:

Palm 36% ,  HP 18% , Sony 16%. Dell, 6,5%,  Toshiba  3,6% ,  Hanspring  =20=

2,9%.

http://www.idc.com/=20
getdoc.jhtml;jsessionid=3DMDQKJV5VYXD0WCTFA4FCFFAKMUDYWIWD?containerId=3Dp=
r2=20
003_04_23_125718

Is this trend coming also to Japan?