(keitai-l) Re: SMS and URLs

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 05/08/03
Juergen Specht wrote:
> > Actually my question was aimed at how operators can move users
> > from SMS messages to browser-based services like WAP or i-mode
> > in Europe. Can european operators use "WAP push" to move users
> > from SMS to WAP sites and their WAP portals? Similarly can
> > european supporters of i-mode use an i-mode form of "WAP push"
> > to move users from SMS to i-mode? I believe these questions
> > have implications for competition between i-mode and SMS and
> > implications for how european operators will eventually move
> > from SMS to some form of browser-based service.
> =

> Hm, I am not sure I understand your question...SMS can not get
> replaced with browser services...if my friend sends me an SMS,
> I can reply. That's user generated content and you don't need any
> kind of browser interface for it.
> =

> The same in Japan, if somebody sends me email, I can reply.
> No browser interface necessary.
> =

> Can you try to rephrase your question?

I basically agree with Juergen here, the question is confusing at best.
A few facts to help rephrasing it:

* The much hyped MMS is really just glorified WAP.

* WAP Push is just specially formatted (binary) SMSes that some modern
phones know to trigger WAP links in a browser.

* Most low end/older GSM phones have no clue about special SMSes (though
decent Nokias can do simple graphics and ring tunes) and these either
get ignored or show up as garbage or nonsense text.

Also remember that receiving SMSes has always been 100% free (not
counting Premium SMSes here but they are hard to abuse). Therefore it
may be hard to explain why you suddenly should start paying for
reception (fetching) messages. This may not seem important to i-Mode
users, but I suspect it will be in Europe.

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson |  XMS Penvision  | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809