(keitai-l) docomo closing the garden gate?

From: <Joshua_at_ltl-j.com>
Date: 05/12/03
My Japanese colleague is asking me explain of the impact on our marketting
plans, of Docomo's announcement that they will start selling handsets with
free-sites web browsing optionally turned off. (That is users will only be
able to view 'official' i-mode sites and will not be able to input URLs or
even follow links to URL's contained in emails).  The impact will of
course depend on how "optional" this option really is, how the sales
people are trained to push it and how easy the customer can reset the
option themselves.  It could be potentially very damaging to the "free"
mobile net.

Trouble is I have yet to come across the this announcement.  Anyone know
what I'm talking about?  Have any opinions or insights?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua Bearden,
*Former WirelessBusiness Development Manager
World Family K.K.