(keitai-l) Re: i-mode subscribers numbers Q1 2003

From: Cedric NICOLAS <cedric.nicolas_at_helo.biz>
Date: 05/12/03
Mark,

Thank you very much for your compliments (I'm working at Bouygues Telecom).
You're not very far from the truth... the content is the key. We'll keep
going on i-mode  and we modestly can say that we are shaking the French
market. Just a precision : the Minitel is not completely out of the game. In
fact France has a very strong and now old (in the computer time scale)
interactive content culture. Minitel is very far from being dead here ! If I
say you that among the top content providers you'll find several powerful
Minitel companies (or new companies held by ancient Minitel entrepreneurs),
this could also explain why we were so successful to get good content
quickly (more than 150 official sites just 6 months after launch !). And a
very very important lesson from the Minitel world is : listen to your
customers ! Do the content they want and overall support them, answer to
their questions, do a strong animation of the sites, because if you don't
you'll loose very quickly your subscribers ! Our CPs are applying those
basic rules and for now it's working...the positive feedback is on his way.
And last but not the least, in reaction to our I-mode offer, Orange and SFR,
our main competitors want to launch a... mobile Minitel ! Same system as the
Minitel: you type a short code on a standard WAP page, a short code which
will be common to the 3 operators and delivered once to the CP, and you'll
access to a mobile site, with revenue sharing on event based billing...
interesting isn't it ? They call that WAP Kiosk. We'll see then.

Cedric NICOLAS
Responsable expertise i-mode
i-mode expertise manager
Bouygues Telecom