(keitai-l) Re: i-mode subscribers numbers Q1 2003

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 05/13/03
Mark,

Just to echo a bit of what you're saying, one of my students here at IUJ is
finalizing her thesis project which compares and contrasts Mobile Internet
usage perceptions and behaviors in Japan vs. the EU.  Specifically, she
spent 3 months in France (at E.M. Lyon) on an exchange program and
interviewing fellow students about their perceptions and usage patterns of
the Mobile Internet.

I won't go into too many details (as her paper is still being finalized),
but as you've outlined, the major advantage the Bouygues holds is the
inclusive business model for content providers, an exact replica of what is
happening here in Japan.  Respondents to this survey, although extremely
disappointed, and feeling betrayed by the empty promises of WAP, overall
were still interested in the Mobile Internet.  Some interesting quotes
specifically about Bouygues iMode efforts in France:

What are your reactions to the various content providers currently
servicing the Mobile Internet?
Positive Answers:
"Some are great, they provide useful info"
"Good, because I have a wide range to choose my content provider for the
same kind of information"
"Favorable, they are becoming more convenient and providing useful
information and services"

Negative Answers:
"The current offerings are not very attractive, no real incentive to pay
for what they are providing"
"Useless for me currently"
"They’re nothing special…not particularly useful"

What are your reactions to the various product features of I-mode or the
new generation of the Mobile Internet (not WAP)?
Positive Answers:
"It seems more convenient than WAP"
"I like the color screen and the graphics"
"Overall this is a good product but I probably wouldn’t use many of the
features such as chat, games."
"In general this product is useful for various types of people since there
is a lot of choice as far as content is concerned"

Negative Answers
"It’s not extraordinary, we as humans don’t need all of this technology"
"This can prevent personal relationships between people, they won’t talk to
each other anymore"
"Some of the features offered are useless and I would never use them"
"I wouldn’t buy anything over a mobile phone line due to security issues"

The surprising results of this research don't center so much around the
resiliance of the human spirit (after such a terrible letdown with WAP
1.0), although I'm sure that there's a great paper to be published on this
fact, but just how much similarities exist in the desires and frustrations
that consumers have regarding the Mobile Internet regardless of
culture.  The results from Japan, although they have a slightly different
tone due to the fact that WAP works here (with KDDI), very closely parallel
the responses from the EU.  This gets to a point that I'm beginning to
believe very strongly, which is the desire to use the Mobile Internet, and
take advantage of the communication-enhancing capabilities that it enables,
is human (ie, not cultural).  We'll be doing some research this summer in
Indonesia to try to confirm this in an emerging Mobile market as well as an
existing one such as France.  But as you can see from some of the quotes
above, enabling good content, such as Bouygues is obviously doing in
France, is definitely a significant piece of their success.  If, that is,
that they remember that humans don't need all of this technology in the
first place....

Based on all of this (and please feel free to challenge everything that
I've said here.  I'm still learning as I go), I would fundamentally agree
with Mark's points that pre-existing technologies such as Minitel don't
really play here.  If they did, WAP coupled with Circuit Switching and
unclear business models would have killed any chance of Mobile Internet
usage and adoption in most countries outside of Japan.

Just my 2 yen though....

--Philip