(keitai-l) Re: Clossing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 05/13/03

> Nokias proprietary implementation of the Symbian 6.0 core in their 7650
> and 3650 only runs MIDP 1.0. No Personal JAVA or Personal Profile
> (Personal Profile is supposed to replace Personal JAVA, no luck so
> far).

Also Nokia Communicator 9210/9290 supports personal Java. It was
a choice by Nokia maybe also due to interface (One-Hand operated no
pen no keyboard)  issues and hardware features.

Also the P800 is considered a Communicator so a different class from
3650 and 7650 that are Smartphones.

> MIDP 1.0 applications are run in a so called sandbox environment to
> minimize the security risk. Therefore you won't be able to access any
> of
> the functionality on the phone.
>
> Do any of you know if this basic logic will change in MIDP 2.0? Which
> are the key new features in MIDP 2.0?

The basic idea of MIDP 1.0 sandbox will remain as avoids unauthorized
accesses to the phone resources. But rel. 2.0 is giant step forward...

Here are the main improvements:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/12/18/midp.html

For my point of view PUSH support is a very interesting feature
introduced by MIDP 2.0

> Curt Sampson wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 May 2003, Giovanni Bertani wrote:
>>> Native applications, avaible SDKs and the possibility of
>>> distributing=
>
>>> applications are some of the elements for innovation, having a
>>> common OS with a shared property between handset
>>> producers (Symbian).
>> =
>
>> Well, if having a common system between handsets is considered an
>> advantage, Java probably wins out over Symbian.
>
> In theory, yes - this is exactly what Java was designed for.
> In practice, the java currently available in most phones does not allow
> you to access phone book, camera etc so basically you can only use it
> for games.
>
> Hopefully this will change - the P800 seems better.

I do not think this will change soon as Java must have standardized
APIs that do not permit you to access the low-level hardware
features that are different from phone to phone. Anyway I see
Java and C++  as two different options you should have both.

And also very important is the possibility of distributing an
application
by other means than OTA. Is not just a matter of developing "fun"
applications without the operator control is also a matter of being
able to distribute with low costs and in a shorter time like with any
other kind of software.

The Internet has borne thanks to freedom of distribution and
connection on open standards and we do not call it just a
"fun" network.  ;-)

Giovanni