(keitai-l) Re: (keitai) Clossing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications

From: Shawn <javajunkie_at_koyuru.com>
Date: 05/13/03
> MIDP 1.0 applications are run in a so called sandbox environment to
> minimize the security risk. Therefore you won't be able to access any of
> the functionality on the phone.
>
> Do any of you know if this basic logic will change in MIDP 2.0? Which
> are the key new features in MIDP 2.0?

Ok MIDP 2.0 will still run things in a sandbox if they are"untrusted".
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)  is utilized by MIDP 2.0 to provide secure
connections and digital signatures for "trusted" MIDP application packages
(also known as MIDlets).

If and when a device determines that a MIDlet suite can be trusted then
access is allowed as indicated by the domain policy.

According to Sun "The internal representation of protection domains and
permissions is implementation specific." which I take to mean that
functionality will be available depending on the phone but am not working
with it now so can't say from experience.

In general though, Untrusted applications have access to the entire
graphical interface, sound, record management, and core MIDlet packages.
HTTP and HTTPS connections are only accessible to untrusted applications
with explicit permission of the end user.

Untrusted code cannot make connections at will; it must receive permission
from the user. Code can be designated as trusted if the developer digitally
signs it and the user's device can verify the signature.

Other things include:

There is a push registry that allows MIDlets to be launched in response to
incoming network connections.

New Media API supports tone generation, tone sequences, and, if the device
supports sample audio, WAV files.

There is a newly-added gaming API.

Added representation of images as integer arrays, which allows MIDlets to
manipulate image data directly.

Record stores may be shared between MIDlets

form layout is considerably more sophisticated than it was in MIDP 1.0

http://wireless.java.sun.com/midp/articles/midp20/
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/12/18/midp.html

--
Shawn