(keitai-l) Re: Clossing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications - And Sun JINI??

From: Jon Ellis <jon.ellis_at_sun.com>
Date: 05/15/03
Beware: personal opinion ahead!

Giovanni Bertani wrote:

> Sorry Jon if I abuse of your "sun.com" suffix.  ;-)

You'll probably be disappointed to hear that i'm just a small cog in a large
machine :-)

> There is any plan at SUN for any Jini integration with mobile phones?

The current generation of cldc based phones do not have the resources to
support rmi. Being able to support rmi would be a first step to integrating
cldc devices in the jini infrastructure.

That being said, there have been recent announcements from the jini people
about a lightweight protocol. I've not looked closely at these new
developments. Probably hear more about this at JavaOne.

I've not answered your question. Sorry about that.

> By reading Sun.com faq:
>
> "Jini is a network architecture for the construction of distributed
> systems where scale, rate of change and complexity of interactions
> within and between networks are extremely important and cannot
> be satisfactorily addressed by existing technologies. Jini
> technology provides a flexible infrastructure for delivering
> services in a network and for creating spontaneous
> interactions between clients that use these services
> regardless of their hardware or software implementations."
>
> Looks like a technology perfectly suited for heterogeneous
> network technologies connections, hardware devices
> and software running the applications.

I agree, to some extent... the degree of control that the carriers exercise
over the networks, and the manner in which they 'differentiate' themselves,
makes me question how practical such developments would be.

j.