(keitai-l) Re: earthquake, but no noopie

From: John Whelan <john.whelan_at_alatto.com>
Date: 05/26/03
This is definitely getting OT but:

This current threads servers to prove that any earthquake reporting system
should be based on the Japanese system of quantifying rather than the
Richter scale. The Japanese scale is superior in many ways as it measures
the direct impact of the event on specific locations. This is opposed to the
Richter units which quantifies the total energy released. So ideally the
"Nonie" system would allow you to specify your location and the threshold
notification level for that location. This also holds when you consider that
depth has enormous impact on the effect of a quake. So even if an earthquake
had an epicentre within 100km or even 50km of Tokyo if it was at a depth of
100km the effect would be much reduced. So if "Noopie" system is to stick
with the Richter approach it should at least have an option to select by
depth or at least at actual distance rather than surface distance from
epicentre.

One last point: Who do people always "7 on the Richter scale" or perhaps  a
little better "Magnitude of 7"? The correct usage should be "7 Richter(s)".
After all we don't say 240 on the Volt scale, or 0.1 on the Tesla scale
etc..  Just a thought.

John (PhD Geophysics)

www.alatto.com