(keitai-l) Re: Usability on Japanese phones

From: Michael Sydenham <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/16/03
Hi Stuart

>From: Stuart Woodward <stuart@gol.com>
>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:34:38 +0900

>If the models on display were fully functional instead of mockups I
>think people would choose the most useable phone if they had time to
>play with it. Right now, in most cases you can only decide from the
>external styling and the feature list.

Recently, larger stores like Yodobashi etc are showing some "hot demo" units
on display. These are almost fully-functioning handsets which you can try. I
say "almost", because of course you can't make a call & browse, however you
can play with the UI & basic functions (e.g. movie player in the case of AU)
determine whether it basically suits you. This is certainly better than
evaluating the dummy phones with the usual "tilt it this way see the smiling
girl, and tilt this way to see the email client". Unfortunately only a few
models are displayed as hot demos - hopefully this will turn into a trend
with more models on offer in future.

Regards

Michael.