(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 06/25/03
Benedict
I agree with your view.

Coverage, Qos, battery life, weigh are all more important
factors in keitai than greater speed.
If we compare WI-FI versus 3G in terms of speed we are
completely out... I really consider this comparison a waste
of time.

Most of the wider coverage WI-FI versions are not compatible
with a real world handset form factor and usage. Most of them
are still experimental and not standardized (Like 4G) and they
are really more vapourware than a solution.

For the market I can agree with Forrester. WI-FI will remain
a business oriented niche product while bluetooth will be
widespread. Anyway 3G, Bluetooth, WI-Fi are wireless
technologies that have been designed for different purposes
and not to compete.

For my experience:

I personally use WI-FI (Apple Airport) in the office to move around
with my laptop, i sync my calendar and contacts with bluetooth
(Apple iSync and Nokia 3650) and I use 3G (3) data connection
to make phone voice calls (Videocalls are more or less useless
today), access the mobile portals and check the e-mail on the move.

So really I am using 3g, WI-FI and bluetooth and a way that gives
me value but they are not competing at all.

Giovanni

Marted=EC, 24 giu 2003, alle 20:21 Europe/Paris, Benedict Evans ha=20