(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 06/25/03
Debi
I've been too hard about the "waste of time".
For my point of view we have to distinguish
what is today available and what is the future.

3G is today, it may be expensive but it is already
working today (Japan, Italy and UK at least) and
it will be launched massively in 2004.

Another aspect is that ITU is expecting an evolution
of 3G to higher speeds up to 30 mbit.
So by this we haven't see much of 3G for a
final judgment. As the japanese market can
tell you right now it is difficult to identify a real
killer application for mobile broaband beyond
video messaging and video content download.

Also multiplayer gaming is already possible on
3g or bluetooth...

On the other side we have to discuss on many wireless
technologies for keitai in development like WI-FI or 4G
but they far from being mature and under this point of
view they can not compete with an existing ITU standard
deployed or in deployment.

We could switch to the topic "The future of Keitai" but
this is a different story.

Regards

Giovanni Bertani