(keitai-l) Re: SMAF subsequence list

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 08/12/03
    I'm don't remember any other ways to loop parts.... and occasionally
the handset may ignore the start and stop points entirely.  Each handset
is a little different.  My Toshiba doesn't like start and stop points very much.

    The MA1 Tool has lots of subsequence stuff built in.  Its one of its cool features,
but I never tested it to see if it actually can play them or not.  If MA1 implements
it you could make a MA1 sequence use the loops there.  Since the chips are more or less
backwards compatible it may work on a MA3 chip.. MA2 is also possible (but often uglier (codewise)
than either MA1 or MA3).

    If size is your problem there is something in the public SMAF-MA3 specs about Huffman
compression.  You could actually repeat the loops, and compress it afterwards.
I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works or not, or how much size it will save you.

Oliver Wittchow wrote:

> I just found that document about "SMAF sound system correspondence"
> which once came with the SMAF spec. It shows which parts of the spec are
> implemented in which MA-version and it says "subsequence list" is not
> available for MA-3.
> I tried to use several start- and stop-points to play loops instead but
> only the last pair is interpreted while others are ignored. Is there any
> other idea how to loop parts? I guess the phrase list is for external
> reference only, by karaoke apps, etc?
>
> Oliver
>
> This mail was sent to address paul@thetamusic.com

Paul B. Lester