(keitai-l) Re: KDDI, BREW and CP

From: David Kaye <mail_at_davidkaye.info>
Date: 10/15/03
Hi William,

You have a couple of options.

1) Set up a WAP site and distribute the URL however you can. Set the MIME
types up correctly on your webserver and you should be able to start
provisioning the app that way. Disadvantages of this method are that the
consumer has to enter your URL manually into their phone's WAP browser,
which is clunky. Also, you are reliant to some extent on the network
operator having configured their customers' WAP gateway in such a way as not
to fuck up a J2ME download - some restrict filesizes and other such fun.
Likewise you may find some operators restrict access to IP addresses that
have not been pre-approved/are outside their walled garden.

2) Get set up with an SMS aggregator (we use mBlox, who have just entered
the US market via an acquisition: www.mblox.com) who will allow you to
deliver the URL to consumers' phones via WAP Push. This is a nicer process
from an end user perspective, as you can then link up to the aggregators'
API to let people send the app to their phone by typing their number into a
webpage, or texting in, or whatever.

My company has a fair amount of experience with this process - feel free to
drop me a line if you like.

David