(keitai-l) Phones with built-in TV

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 10/20/03
Does anyone have any thoughts on the idea of putting TV tuners inside
cellular handsets.

NEC has announced the V601N for Vodafone and Sanyo has also been showing a
prototype with digital TV reception so it seems like these things are
coming but is it a good idea. Leaving aside the problem of battery life,
which is something the companies will have to tackle but which shouldn't be
an impossible task, is it a good idea for the carriers to give this option
to users?

Isn't a whole lot of wireless Internet use done when people have five or
ten minutes to kill while outside? I know that I often flick open my
telephone and check the news or browse a site while I am on the train or
waiting for someone. Give people the option to watch TV, which is not a
revenue generating activity, and aren't they going to impact wireless
Internet use?

Does anyone have an idea of how much use is killing time versus not? If
not, think about your own use and how it breaks down.

Regards,

Martyn