(keitai-l) 505iS First Views

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/03/03
So in Shibuya this weekend they had a docomo booth outside the 109 with
some working 505iS models (the P and the D).

I can't say I'm blown away or anything; I certainly don't regret buying
a 505i instead of waiting.

The new Panasonic has a pretty cool flip and rotate display: it flips
open like a normal phone, but also lets you reverse the display so
that it's on the outside intead of the inside, the way the Sony
works. (Flipping it open with the screen on the outside lets you do
self-portraits and see what you're photographing; on other phones you'd
be using the sub-display.) You can also rotate your thumb around the
button pad for some sort of slightly different input control; there's no
tactile feedback for this, and I didn't quite work out how to use it.

Other than that, the P505iS seems to be basically just a catch-up to the
other 505i models: it adds a megapixel camera and bar-code scanning.

The D505i doesn't seem to add much at all, besides somewhat improved
camera features, such as scene selection and 20x zoom. And of course
bar-code reading: all 505iS models are to have this, it seems. They're
also starting to add it to some non-505 models, such as the SH252i.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org