(keitai-l) Re: keitais killing digital consumer cameras (Ore more) softly

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 12/18/03
> - Killing now digital cameras
> Just a a short thought. Keitai camera phones will be by the end of next
> year at 3-4 megapixels and capable of shooting good quality video.
>
> As quality reach the satisfying level for the average consumer
> photographer any higher resolution has less value
>
> By that time the lower end of consumer cameras market will be probably
> killed.

I wonder how low people are expected to go with the picture quality.
There are plenty of camera phone and webcam pictures on the Web that
are just awful to look at.

Adding mexapixels doesn't make any difference if the optics aren't
getting any better.  One can already see it in the small consumer
digital cameras, the manufacturers keep adding megapixels from 3 to 4
to 5 but the actual pictures taken have not increased noticeably.  The
level of optical zoom is still very much related to the physical size
of the camera, too.

I've been happy with the very portable Pentax Optio S but I still also
want to have both a better compact digital camera and a digital SLR,
the overlapping characteristics are suprisingly small.

Petri