(keitai-l) Re: keitais killing digital consumer cameras (Ore more) softly

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 12/22/03
Tom Hume wrote:
> ...which is what prompted my post. I can't understand why, if it's
> economical to produce better cameras in handsets (as is the case in
> Asia), it hasn't been done here yet...

Japan is about 3 years ahead, if you look at imode/Vodafone-Live,
(i-mode started in February 1999).
Camera phones started in Japan in Nov 2000, see:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/camera-phone/index.html

So if you assume the same 3 year gap for Megapixel cameras, and
there is no reason why this gap should be shorter,
my projection is that camera-phones with 2 Megapixel
cameras will become strong in Europe around 2006.

What's economical in Japan is not necessarily economic in Europe.
For example, in Europe low-paying pre-pay is quite strong, while
there are very few pre-pay users in Japan. ARPU in Japan is a lot
higher than in Europe overall, therefore the economics are not
the same in Europe and Japan.

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html