(keitai-l) Re: I-Mode already struggling in Europe: Sony Ericsson Director

From: Cedric NICOLAS <cedric.nicolas_at_helo.biz>
Date: 01/01/04
Regarding that topic, just would like to point out one thing : the article
said that Vodafone has reach 3 millions users over Europe compared to one
million to i-mode. I would like to note that Vodafone has never published
the ratio of real active users of its Live! service.

In the 3 millions Vodafone counts the customers that have once sent an MMS
or even bought a MMS enabled phone. I would be interested to see real and
official figures of Vodafone Live ! usage .

Once they will publish how many MMS have been exchanged, how many WAP viewed
pages, how many subscriptions or download have been made by those so-called
3 millions users and what is the average ARPU of a Live! user (isn't
increasing APRU the final goal of multimedia services ?), then we would be
able to compare to i-mode.

In france Bouygues Telecom have published those figures : 360 000 i-mode
users on Nov, 15, expecting 500K to end of 2003. (this represent 12% of
postpaid base to compare to the 4% that Live! subs represents to the total
Vodafone base), more than 70% of those users are active users using i-mode
at least once a month. Among those 360K , 25% are new customers. Still at
Nov 15th count : 11 millions mails exchanged,  500 millions viewed pages,
and 3 premium subscriptions among the 50% of subscribers that use premium
contents, and an average ARPU of ?70 for i-mode users compared to average
?54 on the total base of postpaid.
50% of Bouygues Telecom i-mode users buy premium content through the monthly
subscription system that we provide to our content providers. The other half
is only exchanging e-mail or browsing free content.

Interesting fact : The average number of premium services subscribed is 3
among those 50% of users. And another interesting figure is that average
length of subscription is 6 months before desubscription. This mean that
once a CP has got a subscription he may expect roughly that the user will
stay 6 months subscribed to the service, this allows him to forecast his
revenues. BOuygues Telecom have also announced that we will very soon reach
the figure ot 10 M euros paid back to content providers since the beginning
of i-mode service through the subscription system.

Once Vodafone will disclose the same set of figures then will be able to
honestly compare i-mode to Vodafone. Today it is not comparable.

Cedric NICOLAS
i-mode Roadmap Manager
Bouygues Telecom