(keitai-l) Re: Is H3G's poor performance killing the partnerships and handsets?

From: Benedict Evans <ben_at_ben-evans.com>
Date: 03/11/04
Remember Hutchison Whampoa is the real power behind 3, and they're not out
of money yet. I think that the reason DoCoMo is getting out (as in the US)
is that they realised minority stakes had no strategic value. They thought
they could be a back-seat driver, but the management said 'you didn't pay
for control, so don't pretend you did'.

I would also have to question the real value of the 'i-mode technology' in
the European market. For all practical purposes Vodafone Live is, amongst
other things, 'i-mode', as is Orange World. DoCoMo still seem to think
they're selling some revolutionary, never-seen-before product. That would
have been true two years ago - today their only appeal is they they can
provide an 'off-the-shelf' solution that might be quicker than making your
own.

-BGE