(keitai-l) Re: Is H3G's poor performance killing the partnerships and handsets?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 03/11/04
Hi Benedict

Il giorno 11/mar/04, alle 11:32, Benedict Evans ha scritto:

> Remember Hutchison Whampoa is the real power behind 3, and they're not
> out
> of money yet. I think that the reason DoCoMo is getting out (as in the
> US)
> is that they realised minority stakes had no strategic value. They
> thought
> they could be a back-seat driver, but the management said 'you didn't
> pay
> for control, so don't pretend you did'.

I was wondering about H3G capability of having exclusive phones in teh
future in a
moment when the suppliers will have to satisfy all the major operators
entering
the 3G market.

Anyway it is really clear that DoCoMo is moving very badly with their
investments.

> I would also have to question the real value of the 'i-mode
> technology' in
> the European market. For all practical purposes Vodafone Live is,
> amongst
> other things, 'i-mode', as is Orange World. DoCoMo still seem to think
> they're selling some revolutionary, never-seen-before product.
> That would
> have been true two years ago - today their only appeal is they they can
> provide an 'off-the-shelf' solution that might be quicker than making
> your
> own.

They should have adopted a certified WAP instead of the stupid choice
of pushing
for their proprietary technology. A "superiority sin".  They ended up
with 2 basic
phones supplied by brands with no customers in EU.

Cheers

GB