(keitai-l) Re: Brew Browser

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 03/26/04
On Mar 26, 2004, at 12:27 PM, keitai-l@appelsiini.net wrote:

> Your post provided me the opportunity to
> express MY OPINION. I stand by my comments.

I think my attitude is this:

anything that provides new functionality for the user is likely to
drive handset sales, usually towards ever more capable handsets.

I assume this Brew stuff will require a decent handset to run on. That
is, generally a "good thing".

Do I want a phone TO display flash? No - I am not even sure I want a
browser for that...

But if the only way a phone can display flash is to have a stonking cpu
on board, decent local storage and a high end screen, then I am all for
it - because lots of "cool new stuff" can use those resources to do
"cool new things" - and market them to an ever larger number of people
who have upgraded their handset under the sad misapprehension that
people who really need to edit Word documents on their keitai are still
in possession of a life...

In other words, being able to access legacy formats isn't just a good
thing in itself, it drives handset technology and probably sales - and
that is a good thing even for people at the bleeding edge.

Luddism: Think of it this way: a machine to replace a weaver is - er -
jolly useful... But a  machine that can EMULATE a weaver in software -
wow - my personal "weaver emulation" needs  currently hover around
zero, ('though I hear tell Granny thinks she needs it) -  but I can
certainly use the hardware/storage such a preposterous feat implies...

Nick