(keitai-l) Re: Mobile 3D Users & Future Trends

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 04/25/04
Paul,

I don't know much about hardware design.

(1)
in any design, it's important where you divide the problem.  for
display, only raster data have to be transfered and that's not much.
also we may put application CPU and GPU (GSHARK?) behind the LCD.

for me, I thought a more powerful ARM or SH CPU might be better for
both Java and graphics.  surprised GPU comes so early.

(2)
I think K700 is a good example of not-to when designing a handset.
it's very hard to hold the handset at the end (will someone please
design a candybar and put keypad above the display?).

joystick is certainly not for games, a shortcoming of SonyEricsson
handsets with brilliant rollers/dials.  games usually have to use
alternative number keys, which makes the handset harder to hold.

(3)
I'd like to inflame "wireless animosity" a little bit.

I think the Europeans and Americans are overwhelming stronger in IT.
i-mode vs WAP is kinda like Mt. Fuji vs Mt. Everest if you compare
the technical weights behind them.

but Japan and Korea have the market.

the power isn't really in DoCoMo, NEC or Samsung.  it's distributed
over a diverse range of companies fighting in real battle fields
for years, while the services flow into every corners of social and
business life and become indispensable like air.

great environment to BREW new ideas, scary power DoCoMo brought us.