(keitai-l) Re: UK mobile phone gender split/3g usage

From: Tom Hume <tom_at_futureplatforms.com>
Date: 06/07/04
On 6 Jun 2004, at 16:39, Cedric NICOLAS wrote:

> Hmmm... I don't agree. If 40% of TV owners where using regularly their
> TV sets, we wouldn't find that excellent for the media status...

If 40% of TV users were using a new service recently made available
through their TVs (e.g. interactive services) within a year of it being
introduced, I think that might be a Good Thing.

> Additionally the statement wasn't describing usage as "regular". How
> often those 35%-40% are using the service ? To do what ? How much they
> spend for data services ?  When we would have those figures, then we'll
> be able to comment.

Sure; in the absence of such figures we can't judge the survey as
either positive or negative. My point is more general: that a new
technology being used by 40% of people who can use it is a positive
story, not negative.

> And additionally, what is a "3G" service ? Do users are using 3G
> exclusive service or they mostly use services that already exist in
> 2.5G
> (like games, ringtones, etc..)

Well exactly - calling any of these services a "3G" service is as much
about positioning and marketing as it is about the reality of any
implementation. Did we ever see "ISDN services"?

> Be very careful with that kind of assumptions. The details matters.

But of course, we can still make comment even when details are lacking.

--
Future Platforms Ltd
www.futureplatforms.com