(keitai-l) Re: Pain in downloading applications. How UIs are weak and they are killing innovation...

From: <bvolk_at_bonusmobile.com>
Date: 06/08/04
Giovanni writes:

> They are quiet worried in introducing any Java or Symbian based
> software by the fact  that there are so few people able to download an
> application OTA. Of those buying games 50% are interrupting the
> download before finishing it just because there is no UI element
> providing the progress of the download and you just get a phone that
> looks like freezed... This is also true with the supposed to-be
> advanced UI of the Series 60.

I see several solutions.

1. Have the apps 'enable' themselves via. a network operation.  This
would allow a user to keep hitting the "wap-push" page of the jad/jar
file over and over again without the danger of piracy.

2. Create a Symbian "downloader" that shows progress.

In any case they should be using a SMS-Wap push of the app, not forcing
the user to enter a lengthy URL into the WAP browser.

If they need help on any of this, let me know.

Bill Volk
BonusMobile