(keitai-l) Re: Nerw Opera Mobile porxy based broowser

From: Paul Hardy <pjh_at_bushcat.com>
Date: 06/11/04
> [mailto:keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net] On Behalf Of Mika Tuupola
> 	I think it is basically a proxy which gzips content on
> 	the fly

Several years ago I used a Palm (IIIx, maybe, I've had so many...) proxy
which was someone's university project. It converted all images to the 4
levels of gray supported by the display. With its 14.4k clip-on modem,  the
surfing experience felt pretty similar to my 64k ISDN leased line to my
computers. Doing intelligent scaling upstream of the local device delivers
very tangible benefits. I know that's not much of a revelation, but it's a
real-world experience that impressed me.

Perhaps the ultimate benefit right now is not that existing web pages load
faster, but that more pages become available to the keitai user: Google's
keitai search drives me crazy because it finds me pages I can't actually
display.

(Gee. Maybe Google could be the proxy. It's already indexed the page and so
has it in a cache somewhere. Gee. Wouldn't Google make a great proxy
service? I'd pay them to be my keitai gateway. What a thoughful Friday I'm
having.)