(keitai-l) Re: FeliCa

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 06/25/04
Almost - but not fully correct.
The situation is a little different though.

Felica is a platform similar to MS-Windows.

Edy & SUICA is are groups of applications + consumer brands,
similar to MS-Office.

Hope this clarifies things.

Gerhard
fasol@eurotechnology.com

L. Cosh-Ishii, Wireless Watch Japan wrote:
> My understanding was that "bitWallet is a joint venture between Sony, Sony
> Financing, NTT DoCoMo, Tokyo Mitsubishi Bank, Toyota Motors, KDDI, and 24
> other companies. The firm produces the Edy contactless card-based e-money
> system, which in turn uses Sony's proprietary "Felica" smartcard
> radio-sensing technology. Felica has been deployed in Edy e-money cards,
> Japan Rail's "Suica" cards used for entering trains, and several other
> applications.." which also includes the Octopus train card in Hong Kong.
> Isn't the contactless IC card technology is their IP and they license the
> platform to clients who then integrate with custom parameters which suit
> their own purpose..?!?
>
> I just noted that http://www.bitwallet.co.jp now auto forwards to
> http://www.edy.jp/

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html