(keitai-l) Re: SUICA, Felica and Edy

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 06/29/04
To clarify this - what's written below is not correct.
Edy and SUICA are competitors, Felica is the platform.

This is similar to the PC world:

MS-Windows = Felica

MS-Word = Edy
WordPerfect = Suica

There are no Edy enables SUICA cards!!!
There is no Wordperfect enabled MS-Word!!!

Edy and SUICA are competitors!

Actually, what is happening here is that SUICA is
trying to invade EDY's space...

Hope this helps you to understand whats really going on...

Gerhard

Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Paul Lester wrote:
>

>>    In a convenience store in Shibuya I think I saw a sign
>>recommending you to go to the SUICA place (JR station guy) and get
>>an Edy enabled SUICA card so you can use it for both buying at the
>>convenience store and also for your train pass. Is this true? Or did I
>>just read it too fast? If this is the case it looks like Edy and Suica
>>are merging their tech together.
>

> It's the same technology. The Felica cards have a chip on it that runs
> Java; you download programs to the chip, and it runs them.
>

>>    I pretty sure all the data on which stations you use are kept on
>>your SUICA card and known by JR.
>

> The information is kept on the card; you can print it out at any Suica
> machine. However, I don't know that JR keeps track of this as well.
>

>>    Kaisuiken on the other hand gives you lots of free rides and have no
>>deposit required.
>

> I wouldn't call it exactly "lots" of free rides; it's only every
> eleventh ride, isn't it? And you can only use them between stations that
> cost exactly what you paid on the ticket. (Well, or cost less, but then
> you're spending more than you need to.)
>
> cjs

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html