(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 07/16/04
On 2004 Jul 16, , at 11:25, Claus Hoefele wrote:

> Sorry but I don't think this is correct, not all FOMA mobiles are
> UMTS. Both UMTS and FOMA are based on W-CDMA but are not compatible
> with each other. You might be able to use a FOMA USIM card in a UMTS
> phone (haven't tried) but UMTS phones can't connect to the FOMA
> network. Vodafone Japan on the other hand operates a UMTS compatible
> network.

Isn't W-CDMA a part of UMTS?
(http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/
What+is+UMTS_index)

I have a Nokia 7600 and I can connect to the FOMA network using my FOMA
USIM. The same is true with the 7600 and my Vodafone USIM. In the end I
use the Vodafone USIM because calls are cheaper and Vodafone provided
the GPRS settings I needed for Web and mail, something DoCoMo refused
to do.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com