(keitai-l) UMTS versus W-CDMA confusion

From: Heather Fraser <heather.fraser_at_gmail.com>
Date: 09/01/04
Hello everybody.

This is my first post here so please excuse my ignorance. I'm confused
as to the difference between UMTS which we seem to be moving towards
in Europe, and W-CDMA which is behind Japan's DoCoMo 3G service.

Sometimes I see UMTS and W-CDMA used almost interchangeably to refer
to 3G services in Europe. Are they one and the same?  If not, what is
the difference?

As we all know, the early & mid 90's battle between GSM and CDMA
(Qualcomm) was won for the most part by GSM (Nokia and Ericsson
leading the way).  Now the UMTS forum claims that "UMTS is the natural
evolutionary choice for operators of GSM networks".  If UMTS is based
on W-CDMA, how can UMTS be more of a "natural evolution" for GSM than
for CDMA ?

http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/What+is+UMTS_index

Thank you very much for your patience.

Heather