(keitai-l) Re: Porting of C protocol stack on Symbian platform

From: Neil Hopcroft <neil-keitai_at_hopcroft.org.uk>
Date: 09/04/04
Hi Vinay,

>Hi,
>
>We are migrating one of the protocol stack written in ANSI C to Symbian C++
>platform. I believe It is not the simple integration. There are lot of
>issues those need to be addressed like global variables etc. Can someone
>direct me to some case study or some good resource that explains about all
>such details. Is it necessary to write the stack in C++  from C ?

Its most likely that you'll need to do either a complete rewrite, or a
considerable amount of glue code to make it fit with the Symbian way of
doing things. I would probably opt for a rewrite, depending on what layer
your protocol is in the stack - if its running over TCP, for instance, then
active objects are your friends and will make the whole state machine much
less painful than it would otherwise be. I think the Symbian comms stack
itself is based around the berkley sockets abstraction, so it shouldn't be
too difficult to do a simple port like that, but bear in mind that these
are limited capability devices which have to deal with many more errors
than a permanently connected desktop machine, and the battery life will
suffer if you're running a protocol continuously. Its a bigger problem than
just comms.

Not sure how much help I can be (its been a couple of years since I really
did any comms stuff), but please feel free to give me a shout if you have
any questions.

Neil