(keitai-l) Re: Embedded Linux Vs Symbian Vs T-Engine

From: Ian Mansfield <ian.mansfield_at_amplefuture.com>
Date: 09/14/04
Personal Opinion....

One of the huge advantages of Symbian is that it is backed by several major handset vendors. While Linux does have a vast number of developers working on it - they are volunteers, and have no commercial obligations to offer support when it is needed.

What guarantee can you offer the network operator and content providers that a Linux bug will receive the necessary priority from its developers ?

None.

Now that may be acceptable to a programming geek on a backend server platform - but it is not acceptable in the consumer market.

If a mass market handset has a software bug - then it needs to be fixed, and fixed NOW.

If the handset vendor lacks the ability to compel the volunteer developers to provide a bug fix (because there might be something better on TV that night, or they have all run off to Burning Man for a party), then they run the risk of damaging their reputation and market share.

The cost of that damage could easily outstrip the cost of licensing an OS that is backed up with commercial SLA's and service agreements.

For that reason, I personally believe that for the consumer market - it is far safer to stick to using OS's that are backed by commercial service agreements and leave the geeky OS's to the smartphones where the users are more familiar with the flakyness (?) of complicated operating systems and are more forgiving when their handset crashes (after all, their PC probably crashes more often!).