(keitai-l) Re: Embedded Linux Vs Symbian Vs T-Engine

From: Ryan Shaw <ryanshaw_at_SIMS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 09/14/04
Ian Mansfield wrote:

> One of the huge advantages of Symbian is that it is backed by several
> major handset vendors. While Linux does have a vast number of
> developers working on it - they are volunteers, and have no
> commercial obligations to offer support when it is needed.

Not true; most of the core developers are paid to work on Linux, and at
any rate, handset vendors would contract with an embedded Linux company
who would provide the necessary support and guarantees--they wouldn't
just download kernels off the web.

I agree that Symbian's vendor backing is a significant advantage, but
your reasons for dismissing open-source alternatives are weak--and it
seems clear to me why companies who don't want to be beholden to Nokia
might be investigating these alternatives.

Ryan