(keitai-l) Re: shift-jis on i-mode

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 09/22/04
    So far every imode phone I have used supports sjis in the browser
and email BUT, two things to note.

    1.  I-mode specific characters are used in addition to
the standard characters and in an interesting way.  Use shift-jis for chtml.
    2. The encoding in email is for all intensive purposes sjis except it is called
something else: ISO-2022-JP.

    ISO-2022-JP is the standard for all Japanese email.  But that may change in
the future to UTF-8.  I forget if shift-jis is a subset of ISO-2022-JP or vice versa.
Looking at the details in the book CJKV: Information Processing (by O'reilly)
I cannot summarize it easily.  Look at page 418-420 in that book if you have it.
It seems to contradict what I read in another book on the grungy details of it.
Looks like the big differences happen when dealing with half width Katakana characters.
So just avoid those half width Katakanas and you should be fine.

   Search the archives for more info, this question has come up before.

    On non-imode phones I noticed afew bugs when using SJIS in email, so I switched
to ISO-2022-JP and the bugs went away.  So from then on I used ISO-2022-JP
and never had a problem with an imode or non-imode Japanese keitai.

Stephan Szarafinski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can I safely asume that all japanese i-mode phones support shift-jis
> encoding in the browser?
> Which encoding is used for email, also shift-jis?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan
>
> This mail was sent to address paul@thetamusic.com

Paul B. Lester