(keitai-l) Re: Welcome back Nokia

From: Benedict Evans <ben_at_ben-evans.com>
Date: 09/22/04
> they have to wave a really big stick just to get
>> them
>> to make red the default colour-scheme.
>
> This may be true outside Japan but inside Japan operators dictate
> exactly what features go in their mobiles. DoCoMo's Symbian powered
> F900i is completely locked down and it would be a shame if Vodafone
> does the same for Nokia's 6630. I want to put Opera's mobile browser on
> mine.

Yes, but the f900i isn't a series 60 handset. Symbian and Series 60 is the
difference between Windows CE and pocketPC (very crudely). Vodafone
*could* try to lock it down, the way Orange locked down MS Smartphones,
but it isn't inherent in the system. Whereas the f900 is effectively a
real time OS gui with Symbian doing the heavy lifting underneath. I
suspect that the Vodabranding on the Nokia will only stretch as far as a
Vodafone live link on the application screen and a red theme. And if all
else fails, you could buy one SIM-free and totally open in Europe and put
your Vodafone Japan (or DoCoMo) SIM into it