(keitai-l) Re: Is there anything like the hiptop device in Japan?

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 12/03/04
Alexei Polyakov wrote:
> I agree with the two traits mentioned regarding the hiptop, and also
> would add one more: Internet browsing (not just WAP 2.0). The
> supposed users of the hiptop are 18-34 year olds that grew up with
> the Internet being around and the ability to be connected always and
> anywhere is very important selling point for them.

OK, I guess I'm target (on the old side).

> Unfortunately, the hiptop doesn't support JavaScript at this moment...
>
> As for the Ogo, yes it targets the same consumer segment: young
> people of 18-34 year old as the hiptop does, but Ogo's functionality
> is way far from the hiptop. Ogo is only a SMS/IM/email communicator
> without voice capability and Internet access. I would rather name
> Motorola A630 as the closest rival of the hiptop.

Sorry to repeat myself, but isn't the Nokia 9500 what you are looking
for? Sure fits the bill for me:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,54108,00.html

Javascript works fine (Opera), voice/SMS/email/camera etc are obvious,
and BT+WiFi rocks along with an SSH client and GPS support for us geeks
(Word/Powerpoint/Excel and wireless projector support for the
non-geeks). Alas, I doubt that you can get the GSM stuff to work in Japan.

				/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/