(keitai-l) Re: Question IMODE - Over GPRS/GSM

From: Michael Sydenham <michael_at_bxb.com.au>
Date: 12/08/04
Hi Robert

From what I can gather, not much really. From the user perspective, the
service and functionality is the basically the same - perhaps except for
mail - on i-mode handsets outside Japan, the user has the choice of using
SMS or i-mode email, whereas in Japan, only i-mode email is available. From
technical backend perspective, sounds like it is the same regardless of
country and radio-transmission method - e.g. the NEC backend infra used in
Japan is still used for i-mode rollouts outside Japan.

There are also some other service-level issues that are mildly technical
like DoJa version availability - non-Japan i-mode Java at launch is always
an older version compared to what is current in Japan - don't think that is
a big technical reason, just a marketing/business case reason (or maybe doc
translation is too taihen/tough ;-).

> I know this has probably been covered before, but can anyone
> explain to me the technical differences between the imode
> service that some european/other GPRS/GSM operators have
> implemented and launched as 'IMODE' and what exists in Japan
> with NTT Imode service?

HTH

Regards

Michael.
--
bit by bit | http://bxb.com.au
Mobile: 0431841303 (Intl: +61 431841303)