(keitai-l) Re: Chip Cloning for Development?

From: Ian Mansfield <ian.mansfield_at_amplefuture.com>
Date: 01/19/05
While it is "technically" possible to clone a SIM card, the SIM requests a new 128 bit security key for each new connection to the HLR - the Ki - which is used to generate the encryption key used by GSM networks to protect the voice call from eavesdropping - and each SIM would request its own key - so as soon as one SIM is updated with a new key, the other SIMs would cease to function as their authentication key would be "out of date".

Communications using out of date keys would probably also send a flag to the network operators fraud department to investigate a potential hacking attempt.

This wouldn't happen all the time, but it would happen at a random moment, and then you would have the task of working out if the SIM has been locked out, or if your application was faulty - rather negating the time saved in additional testing.

My initial solution would be to go PrePay if possible, as then you are no longer paying line rental (in most countries), just the call and data charges - so having a dozen prepay SIMs doing nothing is not a monthly cash drain on you.Unfortunatly, some networks restrict the data access on PrePay or use different settings from their PostPay customers - so this is not a "definitive" solution.